And what good does it do to   H A V E  nations? Starting wars? Looking down
on every other nation? Exploiting strangers/foreigners?
Nationalism is a pest in the human world.
You are right saying that it is - sort of - a religious aberration, closely
connected with religion itself. So the proposition may be true.
Could anyone LIST the benefits of 'national' existence/feeling?
(Forget about the secondaries: mother tongue, folk-music, lit, etc.)
JM