On 01 May 2013, at 15:11, Roger Clough wrote:

Is AI possible ? Even strong AI ?

In a debate with a colleague, the concept of Strong AI arose.
I had to look it up. Strong intelligence (stronger than human intelligence) sounds good, but it is just science fiction unless you allow for a living thinker. For intelligence requires free choice (free will), and no nonliving machine has that,
for one thing because machines are closed systems.

Universal machine are open. That's why we give them "enough memory".

BTW, the expression "string AI" is for the thesis that machine can have a private life, intention. Not that they will be stronger than us.

Nor can a machine perform intentional acts, and thinking is essentially an intentional act.

This shows only that you have prejudices, and are quick in over- generalization.

Bruno

Dr. Roger Clough NIST (ret.) 5/1/2013
http://team.academia.edu/RogerClough