On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:55:05 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2013, at 17:38, Roger Clough wrote:
>
>  *How can matter (the universe) be a thought in the mind of a cosmic
> intelligence ?*
>
> How can matter be a thought ? That is because matter is at the base
> entirely mathematical, as quantum physics suggests.

> Idealism in science: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealism
>
> The metaphysics of Leibniz. (http://team.academia.edu/RogerClough)
>
> Paul Davies in "the Mind of God" puts these scientists' discoveries into
> context with the writings of philosophers such as Plato. Descartes, Hume,
> and Kant.
> His startling conclusion is that the universe is "no minor byproduct of
> mindless, purposeless forces. We are truly meant to be here." By the means
> of
> science, we can truly see into the mind of God.
>
> Sir James Jeans <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_James_Jeans> wrote;
> "The stream of knowledge is heading towards a non-mechanical reality; the
> Universe begins to look more like a great thought
> than like a great machine. Mind no longer appears to be an accidental
> intruder into the realm of matter... we ought rather hail it as the creator
> and governor of the realm of
> matter."[59]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealism#cite_note-59>
>

> Mechanism implies idealism, or non materialism. A lot of critics of
> mechanism assume materialism, but that is what has been shown incoherent,
> if there is no flaw (in UDA).
> If we are machine, then it has been argue that numbers dreams emerges from
> arithmetic, and appearenace of matter emerges from those dream. It is not
> strict idealism, as everything comes from arithmetic, but it is a form of
> idealism as the physics is reduced to an explanation in term of numbers
> only (or Turing equivalent).

Mechanism implies idealism of a sort, but only an idealism based on the
behavior of materials. Turing machines require that something behave as a
material structure behaves - as a concrete framework which persists with
position and functional continuity. This is not a fugue of subjective
thoughts and emotions, or spontaneous impulses, it is a regulating edifice
of matter-like ideas. Mechanism is materialism reduced to an immaterial
essence. It is an evacuated idealism/null-phenomenology.

Craig