On 5/12/2013 9:46 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    > It's very doubtful that the D-wave computer is a quantum device at all
and has
    anything to do with qubits.

That old view is changing, acording to the most recent information it's very likely that the D-wave computer is a quantum device after all. And even if it's not a quantum computer (and it probably is) it solves problems in a way no computer has before and its very very fast. See:

http://blogs.nature.com/news/2013/04/further-proof-for-controversial-quantum-computer.html

See the actual paper:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1304.4595v1.pdf

It is not very, very fast. "Considering the pure annealing time, the performance for typical (median) instances matches that of a highly optimised classical annealing code on a high-end Intel CPU....Simulated annealers require about three orders of magnitude more computational e ffort for N = 512 spins compared to N = 108 spins for our problems, and there will be potential to see advantages of a quantum annealer over classical algorithms."

In other words, maybe, if it scales up as predicted it will be very fast.

Brent

    > It only solves one particular NP-hard problem

Yes but that is a very important problem that among other things includes the all important protein folding problem.

  John K Clark

No virus found in this message.