On 13 May 2013, at 18:29, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

On 13.05.2013 17:41 Telmo Menezes said the following:
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru>
wrote:
Recently I have listened to a nice talk about the search of
extraterrestrial intelligence

http://embryogenesisexplained.com/2013/03/the-starivore-hypothesis.html

The author has mentioned two fallacies (slides 6 and 7)

Artificiality-of-the-gaps

and

Naturality-of-the-gaps

However, I was unable to understand his difference between
artificial and natural.

I believe he just means "generated by an intelligent biological
entity" vs "generated directly by nature". UFOs, the New York City
and burritos are artificial in this sense, while Clouds, the Grand
Canyon and apples are not.

He's then specifically alluding to the fallacy of assuming that
extra-terrestrial intelligent entities would be sufficiently similar
to us for us to notice them (an old but interesting debate).

Yes, but my point was to take this just as a starting point to ask ourselves how we distinguish what is artificial and what is natural.

The author failed to make definitions for artificial and natural. Could you define these terms?

The difference between natural and artificial is ... artificial.

And thus it is natural ... for creatures which are developing some ego.
"artificial" is a human indexical. Even with comp, we are part of nature. I think.

Bruno

Evgenii

Telmo.

It might be this is a good chance to look from another perspective
on an ASCII string that has no meaning for John Clark. Could we
find the difference between natural and artificial if we say that a
term "free will" is meaningless?

Evgenii --
http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2013/03/natural-vs-artificial.html

Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this
group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this
group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com. Visit this
group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en. For
more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.