On 14.05.2013 11:01 Telmo Menezes said the following:
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
wrote:

On 13 May 2013, at 18:29, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

The author failed to make definitions for artificial and natural.
Could you define these terms?

The difference between natural and artificial is ... artificial.

And thus it is natural ... for creatures which are developing some
ego. "artificial" is a human indexical. Even with comp, we are part
of nature. I think.

Yes, I agree with this.

The distinction is useful to simply qualify something as being the
product of human engineering (as in "Artificial Intelligence"). The

Well, if we cannot define artificial vs. natural, then the question actually remains. Are computers for example artificial products or natural?

search for ETs, interestingly, forces the distinction into an
uncomfortable territory, because it's now "the product of some
intelligence's engineering". We have no way of knowing the full
spectrum of possibilities for alternative biologies, so we can never
be sure if, for example, a signal we receive from outer space is
"natural" or "artificial".

This means that this kind of research is just a way to throw taxpayers money out. Hence, to be consistent, the government funding of search for extraterrestrial intelligence should be banned.

Evgenii

Or can we?

Telmo.

Bruno

Evgenii

Telmo.

It might be this is a good chance to look from another
perspective on an ASCII string that has no meaning for John
Clark. Could we find the difference between natural and
artificial if we say that a term "free will" is meaningless?

Evgenii --
http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2013/03/natural-vs-artificial.html

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to
the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe
from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To
post to this group, send email to
everything-list@googlegroups.com. Visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en. For