On 14 May 2013, at 22:26, meekerdb wrote:

On 5/14/2013 1:18 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 14 May 2013, at 21:45, meekerdb wrote:

They have the special status of being humans.

Sure, like termites have the special status of being termites.

And we could define a word "termiticial" to denote things made by termites. So what's the problem?

There is no problem. I am just saying "artificial" is an indexical. It refers to human implicitly.

If you are dualist and
anthropomorphic, then you can absolutize the distinction (but this
seems ad hoc to me).

I don't see what is has to do with dualism. If you can distinguish "humans" from "not-humans" then you can distinguish "made by humans" from "not made by humans". It's as scientific as any concept: table, chair, tiger, star, amoeba,...

If you can distinguish "termites" from "not-termites" then you can distinguish "made by termites" from "not made by termites".

All I say is that "artificial" is relative to the choice of a particular animal among the animal. The humans. Us.

So it doesn't have anything to do with dualism.

I was saying that it is so for someone which absolutizes the difference natural/artificial, like if it was not an indexical. In that case it singles out the human perspective from all others, and that entails a dualism or a duality between the human perspective and the others.