On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I think you're underestimating the importance of cryptography.
>

> Not at all, without cryptography internet commerce would be impossible; but
> I think you're underestimating the importance of protein folding, solving
> that problem would transform our world beyond recognition.

Protein folding may grant us immortality, cryptography may save us
from spending an eternity in hell :)

>> > Arguably, the current bottleneck in health care is economical and
>> > political, not technological.
>

> If true then rich people wouldn't die from cancer, in fact they wouldn't die
> at all, but they do.

Yes, but what I meant is that many deaths would be preventable with
current technologies. Ultimately we will get immortality through
things like protein folding, but even then we will need protection
from politicians, who always try to destroy everything that is good
and beautiful in this world.

>> > You might be interested in this (extensive) blog post by Scott Aaronson,
>> > a well known quantum computing researcher from MIT:
>> http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=1400
>

> Aaronson concedes that quantum entanglement is involved in the machine and
> he congratulates D-Wave for being the first to entangle so many qbits;
> however he says that D-Wave's claim to have made calculations much faster
> than a conventional computer could are at best misleading and at worst
> downright deceitful. I have no way of knowing who is telling the truth and
> which numbers are correct in all this, but I do know that if D-Wave is lying
> the deception won't last long. I hope Aaronson is wrong because if it turns
> out that D-Wave was deliberately misleading investors then in the eyes of
> many people it will discredit the entire Quantum Computing field not just
> D-Wave's approach, and considering the amount of money involved somebody
> could even end up in jail. One way or the other we should know soon.

Yes, the fear is precisely that they will create an "AI winter" for
quantum computing. Let's see. By the way, I didn't send you this link
to attack Quantum Computing or D-Wave. I love the idea of Quantum
Computing and I hope D-Wave is legit, but this is worrisome.

Telmo.