On 05 Jul 2013, at 02:02, freqflyer07281972 wrote:

Hey List! (and in particular Bruno)

I have started re-reading the book I mention in the subject line -- after languishing in my bookshelf for a number of years, I pulled it out and began noticing the uncanny parallels it had with Bruno's UDA, although it reaches the same conclusions by some rather different means, notably; it postulates God as the thinker of all thoughts, envisioning god in a Spinozistic/Platonic light, and (something that from what I have read seems absent from the UDA) postulates the 'ethical requiredness' of God as being of enough force to bring him into being, thus short-circuiting the old " If God exists, what caused him to exist?" type of argument.

I guess my general question is if any of you are familiar with Leslie's work and if so, to what degree, and also if so, to what degree do you find it plausible?

Leslie typically use bayesian reasoning. I read his book on the doomsday argument, that he attributes to Brandon Carter, and I am not convinced, by that type of ASSA argument. But I do think he wrote a book on many-world, which is more close to comp and MWI, perhaps.

Myself, I seem to be going through a kind of metaphysical conversion of sorts, one where, despite the multiplicity of minds/universes, there nevertheless seems to be an unspeakable and seemingly permanent unity to all things. I'm almost leaning towards Christianity, for the simple reason that it seems peculiar and particular enough to just be right and suitable to reality. (Reading CS Lewis' 'Mere Christianity' has swayed me in this way -- check it out, it's online).

Forgive the brevity of my remarks... I'd unpack more if there was any interest expressed in what I was saying... perhaps I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said.

You are welcome. I would be careful with the "unnameable", as it can attract wishful thinking.

Best,