The wrought iron bench

The night was hot and I could not sleep ---
Or perhaps I just had to build the new bench from the kit.
The previous one had rusted so, that one day
when I sat down, I crashed through to the patio stones below.

It was finished. In the morning, after some rain, I went out
to sit on the new bench in the sparkling sunlight,
a summer morning such as on one day long ago, we drove off to the beach.

It had rained and there were some drops of water on the seat.
Now I was sitting, the dampness tickling across my bottom.
Now I was damp with ocean water, on the beach. I did not mind.
Above, rising in the wind, there were noisey seagulls
flying over me, flying over the waves.

Dr. Roger B Clough NIST (ret.) [1/1/2000]
See my Leibniz site at
http://independent.academia.edu/RogerClough