On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I see computationalism as a form of magic.

The only difference is that one works and the other doesn't. Extispicy
(using animal entrails to predict the future) makes use of magic and it
doesn't work at all; Newton used computation to predict the future position
of planets and it worked beautifully, and that gives us some reason to
believe that computation may be a better tool in figuring out how the world
works than magic, although I did think Harry Potter was fun.

  John K Clark