On Monday, July 15, 2013 6:32:28 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

> Would this kind of universality of human sense-making be likely if the
> connections between words, shapes, and feelings were purely computational?
>

> Why not?  Being a broken line vs a differentiable line is a computable
> property.  The difference between "k" sounds and "b" sounds is computable.
> So I'm not sure what you're getting at.  Or are you asking how "k" came to
> be associated with "broken line" or how the written letter "k" was
> associated with the phonetic sound of "k"?

I'm saying that a computer which is programmed to differentiate between the
phonemes of 'ki-ki' and 'bou-ba' would have zero chance of associating
either of them with the curvy figure or the pointy figure without some
arbitrary link being provided programmatically. This suggests that there
exists within human experience purely aesthetic, elemental associations
which are synthetic a priori rather than arrived at mechanically. A
computer can't tell that there is anything inherently curvy about the sound
of bouba, but a person can.

Craig