On 7/16/2013 12:37 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Monday, July 15, 2013 6:32:28 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

    On 7/15/2013 2:30 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
    Would this kind of universality of human sense-making be likely if the
connections
    between words, shapes, and feelings were purely computational?

Why not? Being a broken line vs a differentiable line is a computable property. The difference between "k" sounds and "b" sounds is computable. So I'm not sure
    what you're getting at.  Or are you asking how "k" came to be associated
with
    "broken line" or how the written letter "k" was associated with the
phonetic sound
    of "k"?

I'm saying that a computer which is programmed to differentiate between the phonemes of 'ki-ki' and 'bou-ba' would have zero chance of associating either of them with the curvy figure or the pointy figure without some arbitrary link being provided programmatically. This suggests that there exists within human experience purely aesthetic, elemental associations which are synthetic a priori rather than arrived at mechanically. A computer can't tell that there is anything inherently curvy about the sound of bouba, but a person can.

Sez you.  I think you're just suffering from a failure of imagination.