On 7/25/2013 1:21 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com <mailto:jasonre...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    > To me it seems that must be incorrect, because it would enable super
luminal
    communication.  By sending a continuous stream of entangled photons in
opposite
    directions

I can't send a message that way because I have no way of controlling if I send a dot or a dash, if a photon polarized at 0 degrees hits a 45 degree filter there is a 50 50 chance it will get through and I can't change that. Quantum entanglement can influence things faster than light but you need more than that to transmit information, you need a standard to measure that change against, and Quantum Mechanics can't provide that standard; all it can do is change one apparently random state to another apparently random state.

Think of quantum entanglement as 2 magic coins, I have one and you have the other, no matter how far apart we are if I flip my coin and it comes up heads then when you flip your coin it will always come up heads, if my coin is tails then so will your coin when you flip it. As marvelous as this fact is there is no way I can use the coins to send you a message because I have no control over my coin, it could come out heads or tails, so you see just randomness in the coin toss just like I do. It is only when we communicate through conventional means (at the speed of light or less) do we realize that my apparently random sequence of coin tosses and your apparently random sequence of coin tosses are identical.

I think this misunderstands Jason's thought experiment. I think he's assuming the source is polarized at 0deg, the same as A, not a random source as you assume. He's proposing that inserting B will cause A to transmit some photons (~25%) that go thru C. Removing B will result in no photons passing thru C. So removing and replacing B can send dots and dashes to someone just beyond C. I don't think that's right, but I've been very busy and haven't had time to figure out just why.