On 7/26/2013 8:52 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    > I think this misunderstands Jason's thought experiment.  I think he's
assuming the
    source is polarized at 0deg, the same as A, not a random source as you
assume.

The photon has no polarization at all unless a filter is involved somewhere. My filter can be orientated at any angle, in this case it just happens to be 0 degrees. When it hits the filter only 2 things can happen, the photon goes through the filter or it does not. The probability of the undifferentiated photon going through the filter or being stopped by it is 50 50 and I have no way of changing that probability. If the photon goes through my filter set at 0 degrees then the photon was always polarized at exactly 0 degrees and so was its entangled brother photon a billion light years away even if the two were created a billion years ago. If the photon does NOT get through my filter set at 0 degrees then the photon was always polarized at exactly 90 degrees and so was its entangled brother photon a billion light years away even if the two were created a billion years ago. Remember that I could have picked any angle to set my filter at, I picked angle X for no particular reason and did so only 30 seconds ago, but my choice today means that my photon and its entangled brother a billion light years away have always been polarized at X degrees or at X + 90 degrees. So I have made the number X special to both photons regardless of if my photon gets through my filter or not, even though both photons were created a billion years before I was born. You can't use this for faster than light communication but I still find it very weird.

    > He's proposing that inserting B will cause A to transmit some photons
(~25%) that
    go thru C.  Removing B will result in no photons passing thru C.  So
removing and
    replacing B can send dots and dashes to someone just beyond C.

If my differentiated photon with a known polarization encounters a filter that its brother photon has not then the delicate quantum entanglement between the two is destroyed and there are just 2 unrelated photons a billion light years away.

Yes, I think that's the answer. B only affects the transmission at C when the photon goes through B, and having an entangled partner photon go through B only breaks the entanglement.