Hi Chris,

You can probably find all that you need here
http://physis.sourceforge.net/

It looks like it is a defunct research programme, but maybe you could
follow up citations.

I could probably dig out an e-copy of the ECAL paper from my
institution's Springerlink subscription, if you're really interested.

Further comments interspersed

On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 01:03:36AM +0000, chris peck wrote:

> Hi Prof. Standish
>
> Unfortunately my subscription to Athens ran out a long time ago and I don't
> have access to the paper you mention.
>
> I'm still not sure you've addressed the crux of the argument. Lets say you
> have a bunch of codons that when processed by a replicating mechanism spit
> out a bunch of amino acids. Lets say the replicating system isn't optimized
> and has low redundancy so that
>
> codonA -> aa1
> codonB -> aa2
> codonC -> aa3
>
> Now there is a random mutation in the mechanism that ought to offer some
> redundancy:
>
> codonA -> aa1
> codonB -> aa1
> codonC -> aa2
> codonD -> aa3
>
> Unless there has been a concomitant mutation in the DNA strands the
mechanism will process, this 'optimization' is in fact catastrophic.

That is what I was referring to as the boundary being unstable. The
two schema cannot coexist at the same location. What I had in mind was
that they existed contemporaneously, but in different physical
locations - eg different rock pools perhaps.

ISTM that you are implictly assuming that these replicating
hypercycles only emerged once, whereas I would think that replicating
RNA probably arose many times quite easily when life wasn't around to
gobble them up.