John et al -- Not sure how demarcated the usage is here between the terms
Lamarckian Evolution and Epigenetics - some feel Epigenetics should only
refer to the actual molecular mechanisms (such as DNA methylation and
histone modification) that alter the underlying gene expression; I find this
restrictive and use epigenetics to also describe inheritance of changes in
the expression of genes.

There appears to be increasing evidence that points to epigenetic
inheritance - from what I have been able to find out -- by different
credible researchers and it there is evidence that it occurs in different
species, including our own.  This is quite topical a subject. for example: A
recent study by Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor-UCLA
Medical Center,  published online by the American Journal of Physiology --
Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, reported that maternal nicotine
exposure during pregnancy is linked to asthma in the third generation in
disease models. This is known as a "transgenerational" linkage because the
third generation was never directly exposed to nicotine or smoking. Previous
research had found nicotine exposure was linked to asthma in the second
generation, or was a "multigenerational" cause of asthma.

Isn't this essentially describing a Lamarckian process? If in fact - as two
independent studies have concluded - cigarette smoking triggers epigenetic
changes; causing increased incidence of asthma across at least three
generations -- doesn't this appear to show that the epigenetic inheritance
is occurring? Hasn't it been demonstrated that both DNA methylation and
histone modification can regulate gene expression without altering the
underlying DNA sequence? Or is this still a matter of some contention?

Quoting from the article on ScienceDaily
<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130805131009.htm>  that was
quoting the study published online by the American Journal of Physiology
[don't have a subscription to that journal]

"In previous studies, the researchers have concluded that the cause of the
second generation's asthma was epigenetic modification (an environmental
factor causing a genetic change). Nicotine was affecting both the lung cells
and the sex cells in ways that caused the lungs that developed from those
cells to develop abnormally, causing asthma. The current study "paves the
way for determining the epigenetic mechanisms" behind smoking and the
transmission of asthma to future generations, the researchers concluded."

Cheers,

-Chris de Morsella