-----Original Message-----
From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Telmo Menezes
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:33 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Deep Blue vs The Tianhe-2 Supercomputer

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Chris de Morsella <cdemorse...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Telmo -- Another crucial difference between the brain and current
> computer architectures is the huge difference between the two in terms
> of signal to noise ratios. The brain is a crackling and very noisy
> place and is in this way is very unlike silicon chips where the signal
> is very clear (at a large energy cost incidentally) We may experience
> our minds as a splendid inner silence

I wish! :)
You and I both :)

> -- well maybe not
> all of us -- but the actual brain environment is highly chatty and is
> cascading with signals talking over each other more like a lively
> cocktail party really.
> Computer architecture is the exact opposite in this regard, and this
> suggests that the two architectures must be very different and work on
> different principles or at least in very different manners.

Completely agree.

> The brain seems to excel at somehow -- through what sleight of hand?
> -- pulling beautifully ordered reifications of sensorial perception
> streams (like the illusion we create of the three dimensional world
> arrayed in a stable manner around our point of perception that does
> not experience sudden gaps but instead persists in majestic stability
> even as the sensorial stream shuts down -- for example whenever we
> move our eyeballs from one spot to
> another)
> And it does so in the midst of a veritable cacophony of countless
> signals that would totally overwhelm any software we have and bring
> any attempt we could possibly cobble together to try to manage it or
> make sense of it to a grinding overloaded crashing halt.
> This is a fundamental architectural difference between how logic is
> built up, layer by layer, on a computer and how the brain does things.
> They are profoundly different approaches to how things are done.

>> Undoubtably. And it might not be a coincidence that these architectural
differences are correlated with very distinct sets of strengths and
weaknesses in terms of problem solving.

Precisely! And also why, it is perhaps misguided to speak of it in such a
binary manner -- not to imply you were at all :)   The range of all
possibilities is vaster than: AI or not AI -- or, more succinctly just
dropping the artificial part for the moment and re-stating it as
Intelligence / not Intelligence. Most probably there are many ways of
intelligence and the intelligence that we are imbued with is not the end all
and be all of all possible forms intelligence (in the abstract) could take.
I certainly hope it isn't; what an utterly mundane universe that would make.

Even just trying to nail down a definition of what intelligence is --
especially if we attempt to abstract the definition so as not to limit it
overly to our own peculiar evolutionary path. (peculiar not in the sense of
being bad or having a negative connation, but of being particular). I can't
speak for others, but it is really hard for me whenever I try to grasp this
particular slippery eel and try to fix it with some definite form or model
perhaps.
Even within our own minds we have multiple types of intelligence operating
and not all of them are symbolic/verbal forms. Sometimes it seems to me, as
if it is a somewhat ad hoc tool set that we hang this concept on and expect
things to manifest similarly in other beings. Our sense of what intelligence
is and is not, has to have been influenced and is to a large degree informed
by the optic of our own evolutionary end point (where we are at now... not
in the sense of forever remaining there) and whenever we speak of
intelligence in an abstract manner we need to keep this in mind.

Cheers,
-Chris