I agree with everyone else - not bad overall, but the weak ending paves the
way for a sequel. In the next chapter, the bland, self-satisfied humanity
character begins to wonder why and how this 'imagination' came to be, and
why fear and grief are, in and of themselves, invitations for fiction to
magically come into existence to soothe his natural functions into an
unnatural solace. He could meet Santa Claus, as the gift bearing
intermediary between humanity and the power to create fictional gods, with
his bag of overflowing and curiously culturally independent archetypes.

Would Mr. Bland be ready to find his own mask in there? Would he be able to
accept that realism is, in the end, just another fiction, but with added
gritty texture?