From: freqflyer07281972 <thismindisbud...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sat, Sep 28, 2013 2:29 am
Subject: The confluence of cosmology and biology

So it seems to me that all of us are situated within a spectacular confluence
of cosmological and biological factors.

The cosmological factors include the fact that dark energy hasn't gotten strong
enough to rip the whole works apart,
that the moon just so happens to be just as big as it is to provide us a
perfect occlusion of the sun during an eclipse,
that we are just around the right time of our sun's evolution that we can rely
on it to be stable for the next billion years or so,
that the moon is already properly tidally locked to our planet, such that it
won't have any future effect on our rotation period (good for life!)

The biological factors include the fact that some self replicating molecule was
able to find purchase on a home (DNA),
that it had enough time to evolve (it's home star was 'kind' and didn't burp
ionizing radiation one or two or dozens of times the way we know other stars do)
that it had a kind substrate (i.e. earth) that provided the kind of atmospheric
protection for life required in case the home star did burp
that we have come from a long line of survivors, and therefore we are almost
automatically very robust, both physically and mentally

And yet we talk about whether we are made from numbers and their inexorable
arithmetic relations(Bruno),
And we talk about whether sensation is ultimately primary, and perhaps the only
thing (Craig),

But it really all comes down to the confluence of these various factors that
allows us to have this conversation in the first place,

comp be damned, do I assume primitive physical reality? well, look at the sky
and the moon and the time it's taken for this arbitrary contingent thing to
evolve, how could it be computational?
multisense realism be damned, look at how things are conditioned by their
structure and function as we find them objectively... there's a reason why hex
wrenches open hex bolts, and it has nothing to do with sensation

Peace,