On 29 Sep 2013, at 11:58, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

I knew yesterday that the reason why Percival Lowel (and many others) saw canals -and life- in Mars is because at this time the Panama Canal was being constructed, and this novelty captivated the imagination of the people. everithing had a solution with a canal. And everything could be solved and explained with mechanics and electricity, the technology that helped to construct the channel. Therefore the Martians was an electric civilization that launched electric discharges.

It is necessary to explain what I want to mean?. People throw in novel technologies and theories whatever they have unexplained or unsolved, but also their hopes.

But at the end of the day these solutions vomit back what was put in with still new questions. The net effect is the rephrasing of the ancient questions with a new language, passed trough the filter of the solution that dominates the uthopic mind of the people. That language, the one of the particular science that dominates the landscape assures that the ancient questions are reduced to match the particular aspect that can fit in the theory.

I personally prefer the original, naked questions as the first ones that though about it, as they appeared in their mind, without the filter of any theory.

I think that you are just saying that you prefer philosophy than science. I have no problem, it is a question of taste.

In science we prefer precise theories, so that we have the means to improve them or to abandon them.

Of course some scientists sometimes talk like if their theory were true, but this means only they do bad philosophy and misunderstand science.