From: Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tue, Oct 1, 2013 8:54 am
Subject: Re: The confluence of cosmology and biology

n 01 Oct 2013, at 01:30, Russell Standish wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 04:22:13PM -0400, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:
>
> Professor, Standish,
>
> Speaking about Wolfram, some ten years ago, Wolfram opined that
> "why listen for ETI's when we can use computers to generate all we
> need to know about Alien civilizations." I tried looking after what
> Dr. Wolfram meant. specifically, when he said that, but to know
> avail. Perhaps it was just foot-in-mouth disease, or Dr. Wolfram
> waxed too, eloquently, or what? H went on to suggest that if we
> needed designs for a starship from somewhere else, all we needed to
> do was  computer generate it-once we had the trick of generating a
> description of an Alien civilization.

 I remember him making that comment too - possibly in an interview in
 New Scientist. I have heard him speak, and he's just as outrageous in
 the flesh!

 The problem is that Wolfram is way too optimistic about the curse of
 dimensionality. He spent most of his life studying quite simple CAs -
 usually the one dimensional, local, single hop neighbourhood rules, of
 which there are precisely 256 universes to catelogue and characterise.

 The real universe is likely to be 11 dimensional, nonlocal with around
 10^{122} states, or 2^{10^{122}} possible universes, if indeed it is a
 CA at all. Needles in haystacks is a walk in the park by comparison.
CA are local. The universe cannot be a CA if comp is correct, and the
mpirical violation of Bell's inequality confirms this comp feature.
Bruno

 In a very real sense, Wolfram's programme has already been pursued for
 25 years in the field of Artificial Life. One can get a sense of just
 how hard this problem is just by looking at the successes and failures
 of that field.

 In light of that, pointing a few radio telescopes into the sky and
 analysing the data SETI@Home style looks a lot easier. Of course, the
 real problem with doing that is Fermi's paradox, which indicates that
 approach will never find anything. Still it is worth doing at some
 level of resource expenditure, since it is worth testing (trying to
 falsify) our theories, and discovering an alien civilisation would be
 a dramatic falsification of Fermi's paradox!

> Perhaps yourself, who successfully has postulated a universe from
> Nothing (Theory of Nothing), or Professor Marchal, could have a
> whack at Wolfram's proposition?  Would we need gargantuan,
> grapheme, quantum computer server farms, to undertake this
> colossal, task, or uncovering ET's emanating from a gigantic,
> statistical, program? Wolframs idea was why search, why go, when we
> can work magic through data processing. Can you or anyone else,
> advise. Thanks.

 I'm as keen as the rest of them to let at the problem with a massive
 quantum computer, but given the remoteness of having a pratical Q
 computer in my professional lifetime, I haven't put much energy into
 working out the relevant algorithms.

ou received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
Everything List" group.