2013/10/1 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>

> On 30 Sep 2013, at 15:56, Alberto G. Corona wrote:
>
> Not exactly.  And that depends on what we call as science. Many called
> sciences are pure rubbish, while some other disciplines outside of what is
> now called science are much more interesting. I´, in favor of good science
> and good philosophy. I consider good whatever knowledge endavour that is
> not in the hands of wishful thinking.  There are too much disciplines that
> call themselves sciences, as well as others outside that are little more
> that wishful thinking.
>

> Good philosophers are scientists (the Greeks, Maudlin, etc.)
> Good scientists are philosophers (Einstein, Gödel, etc.)
>
> In my youth, the academical philosophy nearby was Marxist propaganda, and
> today, my opponents ask philosophers to criticize the work by authority, as
> they admit not seeing one flaw. This makes me think that philosophy is the
> place where argument per authority are still tolerated. This means that
> philosophy is a tool to imitate institutionalized pseudo-religion.
>
> But above the vocabulary, we might try to just understand each others.
> Personally, I see science as the perpetual fight against prejudices and any
> form of certainties. Science is just the attitude of being able to doubt
> and change their mind, and that spirit can be applied in any domain.

The problem with the word science is that it is also being contaminated,
from outside and from inside of it.  in the same way that philosophy was in
the past.

It is natural. If you look at charlatans, advertising and different gurus,
the world that they use most is "science" and "scientific". But lately
sometimes I can not distinguish a scientist in search of fame from a
charlatan.  And authoritarian arguments or at least abuse of authority are
used also in all sciences. There is not such ideal and sane institution of
human life that is free of humans. The whitest some institution is, the
more it attract power seeking, inmoral and self deceptive people that will
try to pervert the rules for his own benefit, and science.

These are facts that can be demonstrated with evolutionary game theory!!
 Even in physical sciences is very hard to get along. Einstein not only was
a genius, it was a strongly determined man that wanted to be heard.

> Many texts in human science can easily be transformed in authentic good
> pieces of science, just by adding some interrogation marks.
>

> Being a physicist, I consider all the stuff about determinism, QM and so
> on extraordinarily interesting, but it has little to say about the concept
> of free will that I´m interested in. On the contrary, there are
> developments in evolution, evolutionary psychology, category theory, game
> theory and computer science that can say things  interesting for the
> problems that interested to the classical philosophers. All of these
> disciplines are non reductionists, and can apply to all the levels of
> complexity.
>

> We agree on this.
>
> Bruno
>

> 2013/9/30 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
>

>> On 29 Sep 2013, at 11:58, Alberto G. Corona wrote:
>>
>>  I knew yesterday that the reason why Percival Lowel  (and many others)
>>> saw canals -and life-  in Mars is because at this time the Panama Canal was
>>> being constructed, and this novelty captivated the imagination of the
>>> people. everithing had a solution with a canal. And everything could be
>>> solved and explained with mechanics and electricity, the technology that
>>> helped to construct the channel. Therefore the Martians was an electric
>>> civilization that launched electric discharges.
>>>
>>> It is necessary to explain what I want to mean?. People throw in novel
>>> technologies and theories whatever they have unexplained or unsolved, but
>>> also their hopes.
>>>
>>> But at the end of the day these solutions vomit back what was put in
>>> with still new questions. The net effect is the rephrasing of the ancient
>>> questions with a new language, passed trough the filter of the solution
>>> that dominates the uthopic mind of the people.  That language, the one of
>>> the particular science that dominates the landscape assures that the
>>> ancient questions are reduced to match the particular aspect that can fit
>>> in the theory.
>>>
>>> I personally prefer the original, naked questions as the first ones that
>>> though about it,  as they appeared in their mind, without the filter of any
>>> theory.
>>>

>> I think that you are just saying that you prefer philosophy than science.
>> I have no problem, it is a question of taste.
>>
>> In science we prefer precise theories, so that we have the means to
>> improve them or to abandon them.
>>
>> Of course some scientists sometimes talk like if their theory were true,
>> but this means only they do bad philosophy and misunderstand science.

> [...]

Alberto.