On 02 Oct 2013, at 04:18, LizR wrote:

On 2 October 2013 14:56, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
There is no particular requirement for CAs to be local, although local
CAs are by far easier to study than nonlocal ones, so in practice they
usually are (cue obligatory lamp post analogy).

Thanks, I was looking for that analogy....

Wouldn't locality be defined by the "catchment area" of a cell? Or maybe not, I'm finding the idea of non-local CAs (CAa?) quite hard to get my head around.

This should not be difficult. You can conceive a "game-of-life" but where a square can be put in superposition "present and not present", then you will get non local CA behavior (in your branch of the universe) by the usual quantum entanglement.

Of course, in Everett, the whole picture remains local, and non- locality is only an appearance, but that apparent non-locality can be exploited, and in particular, such quantum CA can emulate in polynomial time a quantum computer (in fact a quantum CA is just another implementation of a quantum computer).