Yes of course it's mostly handguns, just as most deaths aren't due to mass
shootings. Handguns are more common (cheaper, and easier to conceal if you
intend to commit a crime). Firearms cause around 30,000 deaths/year in the
US, apparently (plus about 70,000 injuries) - about the same number as car
accidents - yet the budget for research into preventing gun deaths is,
guess what, only one 20th of the budget for preventing car accidents. It's
almost as though there's a conspiracy ... oh, wait, there is!

Apparently there are 315 million people living in the US, who between them
own 300 million guns, and 260 million cars.