Oops, silly me, it was in the very same article. I missed it when I skimmed
through to check...

*TO: After recent mass shootings, hasn't funding for gun violence research
> received more attention?*
> *GM:* There is a proposal in Congress to allow for $10 million in
> research funding. But I suspect it essentially has no chance of making it.
> Even if it did, our Department of Health and Human Services prohibits any
> of the funds from being
> used<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/12/gun_violence_research_nra_and_congress_blocked_gun_control_studies_at_cdc.html>,
> and I'm quoting directly here, “to advocate or promote gun
> control<http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-CE-07-001.html>.”
> That means even if I had money to do the research, it would be a crime to
> talk about the policy implications.

Here's the article he links to:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/12/gun_violence_research_nra_and_congress_blocked_gun_control_studies_at_cdc.html

And here is the grant, with the prohibition mentioned:

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-CE-07-001.html

I assume this is the relevant bit:

> *Prohibition on Use of CDC Funds for Certain Gun Control Activities*
> The Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and
> Related Agencies Appropriations Act specifies that: "None of the funds
> made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease
> Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control."
>
> Anti-Lobbying Act requirements prohibit lobbying Congress with
> appropriated Federal monies. Specifically, this Act prohibits the use of
> Federal funds for direct or indirect communications intended or designed to
> influence a member of Congress with regard to specific Federal legislation.
> This prohibition includes the funding and assistance of public grassroots
> campaigns intended or designed to influence members of Congress with regard
> to specific legislation or appropriation by Congress.
>
> In addition to the restrictions in the Anti-Lobbying Act, CDC interprets
> the language in the CDC's Appropriations Act to mean that CDC's funds may
> not be spent on political action or other activities designed to affect the
> passage of specific Federal, State, or local legislation intended to
> restrict or control the purchase or use of firearms.

So the implication *seems *to be that if the research discovered that the
best way to stop people being killed and injured by guns was gun control,
it wouldn't be allowed to say so.