On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:52:46 PM UTC-4, Liz R wrote:

> On 10 October 2013 09:47, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
>> It's not that computers can't do what humans do, it's that they can't
>> experience anything. Mozart could dig a hole as well as compose music, but
>> that doesn't mean that a backhoe with a player piano on it is Mozart. It's
>> a much deeper problem with how machines are conceptualized that has nothing
>> at all to do with humans.
>>

> So you think "strong AI" is wrong. OK. But why can't computers experience
> anything, in principle, given that people can, and assuming people are
> complicated machines?

I don't think that people are machines. A machine is assembled
intentionally from unrelated substances to perform a function which is
alien to any of the substances. Living organisms are not assembled, they
grow from a single cell. They have no unrelated substances and all
functions they perform are local to the motives of the organism as a whole.

This is an even bigger deal if I am right about the universe being
fundamentally a subdividing capacity for experience rather than a place or
theater of interacting objects or forces. It means that we are not our
body, rather a body is what someone else's lifetime looks like from inside
of your lifetime. It's a token. The mechanisms of the brain do not produce
awareness as a product, any more than these combinations of letter produce
the thoughts I am communicating. What we see neurons doing is comparable to
looking at a satellite picture of a city at night. We can learn a lot about
what a city does, but nothing about who lives in the city. A city, like a
human body, is a machine when you look at it from a distance, but what we
see of a body or a city would be perfectly fine with no awareness happening
at all.

Thanks,
Craig