On Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:32:54 PM UTC-4, Liz R wrote:

> On 11 October 2013 04:54, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
>> Unless a machine used living organisms, molecules would probably be the
>> only natural things which an experience would be associated with. They
>> don't know that they are part of a machine, but there is probably an
>> experience that corresponds to thermodynamic and electromagnetic
>> conditions. Experiences on that level may not be proprietary to any
>> particular molecule - it could be very exotic, who knows. Maybe every atom
>> of the same structure represents the same kind of experience on some
>> radically different time scale from ours.
>>

> Wow! Molecular experiences! That seems......far out, man. Could you get me
> some of whatever you're taking? :)

You mean can I get you some molecules to interact with the molecules of
your brain :)?

If we have experiences, and we are made of molecules, then what would be
the logic of an arbitrary barrier beyond which non-experience suddenly
turns into experience? If molecules don't need experiences to build
biology, and stem cells don't need experience to build nervous systems and
immune systems, then I find it pretty improbable that a particular species
of animal would suddenly be the first entities to ever experience any part
of the universe in any way, just because it makes it easier to to do the
things that every other organism does - find food, reproduce, avoid
threats.

Craig