On Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:58:30 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On 9 October 2013 05:25, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
> >
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303492504579115310362925246.html
>

> > A lot of what I am always talking about is in there...computers don't
> > understand produce because they have no aesthetic sensibility. A
> mechanical
> > description of a function is not the same thing as participating in an
> > experience.
>
> This is effectively a test for consciousness: if the entity can
> perform the type of task you postulate requires aesthetic sensibility,
> it must have aesthetic sensibility.

Not at all. That's exactly the opposite of what I am saying. The failure of
digital mechanism to interface with aesthetic presence is not testable
unless you yourself become a digital mechanism. There can never be a test
of aesthetic sensibility because testing is by definition anesthetic. To
test is to measure into a system of universal representation. Measurement
is the removal of presence for the purpose of distribution as symbol. I can
draw a picture of a robot correctly identifying a vegetable, but that
doesn't mean that the drawing of the robot is doing anything. I can make a
movie of the robot cartoon, or a sculpture, or an animated sculpture that
has a sensor for iodine or magnesium which can be correlated to a higher
probability of a particular vegetable, but that doesn't change anything at
all. There is still no robot except in our experience and our expectations
of its experience. The robot is not even a zombie, it is a puppet playing
back recordings of our thoughts in a clever way.

Craig