On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 10:07:58AM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
On 10/11/2013 2:28 AM, Russell Standish wrote:
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 06:25:45PM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
So there are infinitely many identical universes preceding a
measurement.  How are these universes distinct from one another?
Do they divide into two infinite subsets on a binary measurement, or
do infinitely many come into existence in order that some
branch-counting measure produces the right proportion?  Do you not
see any problems with assigning a measure to infinite countable
subsets (are there more even numbers that square numbers?).
But infinite subsets in question will contain an uncountable number of
elements.
I don't think being uncountable makes it any easier unless they form
a continuum, which I don't think they do.  I QM an underlying
continuum (spacetime) is assumed, but not in Bruno's theory.

UD* (trace of the universal dovetailer) is a continuum, AFAICT. It has
the cardinality of the reals, and a natural metric (d(x,y) = 2^{-n}, where n is
the number of leading bits in common between x and y).

Hmm? So 1000 is the same distance from 10 and 111?  What's the measure on this
space?

Brent

ISTM, this
metric induces a natural measure over sets of program executions that
is rather continuum like - but maybe I'm missing something?

Cheers