On 10/12/2013 9:56 PM, LizR wrote:
On 13 October 2013 17:40, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com <mailto:whatsons...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I don't believe in philosophical zombies. I use puppet because a puppet
implies an
    absence of conscious presence, which is an ordinary condition of
macrocosmic objects
    as we seem them, because the sensation associated with them belongs to a
distant
    frame (microcosm). A zombie is supernatural because rather than the seeming
absence
    of presence (normal), they imply the presence of absence, which is
unnatural and
    cannot exist. There can be no undead, only the unlive.

Puppet implies a puppeteer. In a sense our bodies are puppets controlled by our brains. So there is a conscious presence.

I wonder if there are psychological conditions that are similar to philosophical zombiehood? I.e. doing things as though conscious when you aren't. (Maybe sleep walking?)

Or proving theorems in mathematics, c.f. Poincare effect. http://www.is.wayne.edu/DRBOWEN/CRTVYW99/POINCARE.HTM