On Sunday, October 13, 2013 5:14:00 AM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> >> Perform to the satisfaction of anyone you care to nominate. A committee
> of
> >> humans examine two people who have had a haircut, one from a human and
> the
> >> other from a computer, and try to decide which is which. This is
> repeated
> >> several times. If they can't tell the difference then we say the
> computer
> >> has succeeded in cutting hair as well as a human. Is there any task you
> >> think a computer will never be able manage as well as a human in this
> sort
> >> of test?
> >

> > What does performing tasks have to do with anything? We are talking
> about
> > the capacity to feel, experience, and care. If you could replace your
> hands
> > with machines that would do everything your hands could do and quite a
> bit
> > more, but would have no feeling in them at all, would you say that the
> robot
> > hands were just as good to you as human hands? If your tongue could
> detect
> > any chemical in the universe accurately and provide you with precise
> > knowledge of it, but never allow you to taste any flavor or feel
> anything
> > with your tongue again, would that be equivalent?
>
> I understand that you don't think computers can have feelings, but I
> was asking if if computers can perform all tasks that a human can
> perform, or if there are some tasks they just won't be able to do. If
> there are, then this suggests a test for consciousness.

I don't know that there is a such thing as 'all tasks that a human can
perform'. Before Mozart, humans could not perform Mozart concertos.
Anything that a computer does is actually being done by the inventors and
programmers of the computer, plus the physics of the medium being used to
do the computing. By themselves, computers can't do much of anything. If
someone could invent a computer which was smart enough even to be able turn
themselves off when they are stuck they could make a fortune.

Craig