On 15 October 2013 05:05, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I understand that you don't think computers can have feelings, but I
>> was asking if if computers can perform all tasks that a human can
>> perform, or if there are some tasks they just won't be able to do. If
>> there are, then this suggests a test for consciousness.
>

> I don't know that there is a such thing as 'all tasks that a human can
> perform'. Before Mozart, humans could not perform Mozart concertos. Anything
> that a computer does is actually being done by the inventors and programmers
> of the computer, plus the physics of the medium being used to do the
> computing. By themselves, computers can't do much of anything. If someone
> could invent a computer which was smart enough even to be able turn
> themselves off when they are stuck they could make a fortune.

I think you are avoiding the question. Do you think there is any task
or job that a human can do but a computer is incapable of doing? For
example, being a hairdresser is certainly beyond any computer at
present. Is that because it requires consciousness, hence beyond
computers forever?

--
Stathis Papaioannou