On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:23:33 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On 16 October 2013 23:33, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
> >
> http://neurosciencenews.com/human-thought-can-voluntarily-control-neurons-in-brain/
>

> And what do you think this article shows, Craig? Something about
> "voluntary" meaning "neither determined nor random"?

I think that it means that neurons are subject to our direct intention,
rather than creating the illusion of intention on top of mechanistic
processes. It shows that our own brain, down to the individual neuron level
can be controlled intuitively, as we would if we had found that we had
grown a new arm. Just as the brain can cause changes in the body, our
personal motivation can cause changes in the brain.

As for the ontology of 'voluntary', it does, now that you mention it, imply
that our role of consciousness not merely to predict, or to be
unpredictable, but also to dictate. It's hard to claim that the brain is
mechanistic when its own cells are being directly controlled, without some
other organ in between acting as a brain's brain.

Craig