On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:23:33 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On 17 October 2013 09:56, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:23:33 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:
> >>
> >> On 16 October 2013 23:33, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> >

> http://neurosciencenews.com/human-thought-can-voluntarily-control-neurons-in-brain/
>

> >> And what do you think this article shows, Craig? Something about
> >> "voluntary" meaning "neither determined nor random"?
> >

> > I think that it means that neurons are subject to our direct intention,
> > rather than creating the illusion of intention on top of mechanistic
> > processes. It shows that our own brain, down to the individual neuron
> level
> > can be controlled intuitively, as we would if we had found that we had
> grown
> > a new arm. Just as the brain can cause changes in the body, our personal
> > motivation can cause changes in the brain.
>
> But everything that we think and feel follows from some physical
> activity in the neurons

Not at all. What we think and feel leads activity in the neurons also.
Right now, I can plan to take a walk tomorrow morning, and lo and behold,
activity in my body will follow activity in the neurons which follow my
intention. Neuron activity may have no more to do with what we think and
feel than traffic patterns have in determining the culture of a city.

> , just like every other biological function.
> Tachycardia is caused by the heart beating faster, the heart does not
> beat faster because of tachycardia.

Tachycardia is the heart beating faster. They mean the same thing. It's
like saying that drag racing is caused by driving cars fast, but cars are
not driven fast because they are in a race.

It's impossible to understand consciousness if you look at the world only
from the view that consciousness gives you of conditions outside of your
body. Until we recognize our interior experience as a phenomenon no less
physically real than any quark or galaxy, we are going to be doomed to
chasing our tail looking for our own insides by taking measurements of our
outsides. I think that the big revelation is to consider that the interior
of everything is not isomorphic to the exterior, and is, in our case,
contra-isomorphic.

Craig