From: Jamie Choi - Avaaz.org <av...@avaaz.org>
Date: 18 October 2013 00:21
Subject: Trapped in a Russian jail
To: "crg1...@gmail.com" <crg1...@gmail.com>

**
Dear friends,

  <http://www.avaaz.org/en/free_the_arctic_30_loc/?bbUbKdb&v=30328>

*Ana Paula and 29 of her Greenpeace crewmates are trapped in a Russian
jail* for
trying to save the Arctic from oil drilling. But our community could set
them free if we help Greenpeace build a massive global outcry targeting
Russia’s biggest global partners. *Let’s reach 1 million to free the Arctic
30 -- sign now by clicking below:*

[image: SIGN THE
PETITION]<http://www.avaaz.org/en/free_the_arctic_30_loc/?bbUbKdb&v=30328>
 Ana Paula is a 31-year old from Brazil who wanted to peacefully protest
Russia’s plans to drill the Arctic.* *Now she, along with her 29 crewmates
from the Greenpeace ship *Arctic Sunrise*, is *locked in a Russian jail
with no release in sight. *But we can throw her and the rest of her crew a
lifeline.

The Greenpeace staff, *some in solitary confinement, are now facing fifteen
years in prison* on trumped up charges of piracy. Their crime? Hanging a
banner on a Russian oil rig to protest dangerous deepwater drilling in one
of the earth’s most beautiful and fragile places. Many western governments
have already spoken out, but now *Ana Paula and Greenpeace are asking the
Avaaz community to help build a truly global outcry. *

Together we can call on some of Russia's strongest trade and political
partners -- Brazil, India, South Africa and the EU -- to call for the
release of the Arctic 30. *Let’s reach 1 million to free Ana Paula and her
friends*. Once we hit that mark, Avaaz will project their faces in key
public places to keep this story at the top of the news:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/free_the_arctic_30_loc/?bbUbKdb&v=30328

This is what Ana Paula's sister said about her: "In many ways, *my sister
is a typical Brazilian -- talkative, friendly, and full of life. But she’s
also simply extraordinary*, passionate about nature since she was little,
and never hesitating to stand up for it even at great personal risk."

Now Ana Paula and her crewmates could lose *15 years of their lives, all
for trying to hang a banner on a Gazprom oil rig, the first of its kind in
the Arctic*. This is an aggressive backlash against defenders of our
environment -- stopping oil drilling in the Arctic is about protecting the
last great wilderness on earth, where oil spills are almost impossible to
clean up.

Greenpeace has hired great lawyers who point out that the 30 were arrested
in international waters, making Russia the one violating the international
Law of the Sea. *But being on the right side of the law may not be enough
to regain their freedom*, and their dreadful fate may be sealed soon unless
the international community lets Russia know that this is a scandal that’s
not going to go away.

*Avaaz has a particularly powerful voice in many of these countries with
huge memberships* -- 5 million in Brazil alone! If we all weigh in now and
build a one million strong petition, Avaazers in Brazil, South Africa,
India, and the EU can ramp up the pressure. Sign now to help build 1
million people to help free the Arctic 30:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/free_the_arctic_30_loc/?bbUbKdb&v=30328

These Arctic 30 were brave enough to confront the oil industry in one of
the last untouched places on earth. They are being silenced and intimidated
by the oil industry for their bravery. Our community has stood strong for
campaigners across the world -- now let’s free these 30.

With hope and determination,

Jamie, Alex, Emma, Lisa, Ricken, Marie, Julien, Diego and the rest of the
Avaaz team

MORE INFORMATION

Russia accuses Greenpeace crew of 'piracy' in Arctic (BBC)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24222392

Dutch sue Russia to recover 'pirate' Greenpeace crew (France24)
http://www.france24.com/en/20131004-netherlands-russia-greenpeace-oil-arctic-piracy-justice

What Russia’s Treatment of Greenpeace Activists Reveals About its Arctic
Policy (The Atlantic)
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/10/what-russia-s-treatment-of-greenpeace-activists-reveals-about-its-arctic-policy/280352/

Legal analysis by International law professor Prof. Dr. Stefan Kirchner
http://fr.scribd.com/doc/173374193/Comment-on-the-institution-of-arbitration-proceedings-between-the-Kingdom-of-the-Netherlands-and-the-Russian-Federation-concerning-the-case-of-the-shi

Black Ice: Russia's ongoing oil spill crisis (Report, Greenpeace)
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/climate-change/arctic-impacts/The-dangers-of-Ar...<http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/climate-change/arctic-impacts/The-dangers-of-Arctic-oil/Black-ice--Russian-oil-spill-disaster/>

 *Support the Avaaz Community!*   We're entirely funded by donations and
receive no money from governments or corporations. Our dedicated team
ensures even the smallest contributions go a long way.   [image: Donate to
Avaaz]<https://secure.avaaz.org/en/donate_to_avaaz_gc/?cl=3424846849&v=30328>

------------------------------
 *
Avaaz.org is a 26-million-person global campaign network* that works to
ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global
decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz
members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18
countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of
Avaaz's biggest campaigns here<http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer>,
or follow us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz> or
Twitter<http://twitter.com/Avaaz>
.

You are getting this message because you signed "A massive ray of hope on
climate <http://www.avaaz.org/en/a_ray_of_hope_on_climate>" on 2012-11-26
using the email address crg1...@gmail.com.
To ensure that Avaaz messages reach your inbox, please add
avaaz@avaaz.orgto your address book. To change your email address,
language settings, or
other personal information, contact
us<http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer>,
or simply *go here to
unsubscribe<https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&cl=3424846849&email=crg1...@gmail.com&b=2551&v=30328&lang=en>
*.

To contact Avaaz, please *do not reply to this email.* Instead, write to us
at www.avaaz.org/en/contact <http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact?footer> or
call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).