On Saturday, October 19, 2013 6:18:36 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

>  On 10/18/2013 11:29 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>

>  On 19 Oct 2013, at 08:20, meekerdb wrote:
>
>  On 10/18/2013 10:55 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
> A feeling, like a fear, is an evolved construct, needing brain and a long
> evolutionary history.
>

> I doubt that.  If my paradigmatic AI Mars Rover responds to possible harm
> it forsees by diverting all power to locomotion, shutting off
> communications and instruments, and abandones its near term scientific
> goals in an attempt to preserver itself - then it's probably feeling fear.
>

>  I agree. But Mars Rover has a very long history, involving the
> apparition of humans on earth.
>

> But the fear has nothing to do with the history.  The fear supervenes on
> the action of expending all possible effort to avoid an undesirable end.

I would think that the program of expending all possible effort to avoid an
end which is defined as maximally avoidable would not be improved in any
way by and such thing as 'fear'. Flip a switch, execute a different
command, and the Rover's efforts to preserve itself are abandoned. Fear
only appears by the pathetic fallacy.

Craig