On Saturday, October 19, 2013 6:22:05 PM UTC-4, Russell Standish wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 03:06:00PM -0700, Craig Weinberg wrote:
> > Isn't a corporation a Turing emulable machine though? It seems like its
> > just a matter of properly configuring a corporation's functions to tap
> into
> > the arithmetic truths of self-reference, and then it would have to be a
> > person...unless you believe in zombies.
> >

> Not all Turing machines are people.

I didn't want to imply they were. That was my intent in saying that they
need only be configured properly to become persons. It's like the China
Brain. Any corporation whose agents interact with each other in such a way
as to imitate the signs and functions which we attribute to the logic of a
brain would have to become a living person...one who is immortal and
appears spontaneously rather than in the context of any evolved history.

Craig