On Saturday, October 19, 2013 8:20:01 PM UTC-4, Russell Standish wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 04:37:31PM -0700, Craig Weinberg wrote:

> its
> tap
> > > into
> be a
> > > >

> > > Not all Turing machines are people.
> > >

> > I didn't want to imply they were. That was my intent in saying that they
> > need only be configured properly to become persons.
>
> That is only known to be possible if they are universal machines. It
> seems unlikely to me that corporations are universal machines.

A corporation is just a substrate. Instead of transistors, or neurons, or
mechanical switches, you have employees serving the same roles as any
components would in a universal machine. If it seems absurd that such a
configuration would conjure feelings and personhood out of a purely
functional organization, maybe its because it is absurd? Maybe universal
machines are still only machines and have no life of their own?

Craig