On 20 Oct 2013, at 06:21, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

Bruno seems to equate "know" with "provable and true".

I'm not sure that is precise. To me, Bruno's use mostly mirrors the use in the Plato dialogues as "knowledge is true belief accounted for". So X knows p is true iff: p is true, X believes p, X can account for or justify their belief. PGC

That's correct, but the "accounted for" is modeled by "provable", (not "proven"), and this means that the knowledge theory is more a knowability theory.

So Brent is not incorrect on this. But it means only that such theory is of no practical use, and it does not change the theology, nor the physics, which similarly bears on the possible observable, not the actually observed.

Bruno

So we know that 17 is prime. In fact we *know* infinitely many theorems that are provable, but which no one will ever prove - which seems like a strange meaning of "know".

Brent

Are these all things you would say satisfy the proposition [o]([o]p)