On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:07:04AM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
> >>ISTM that Bruno equivocates and [] sometimes means "believes" and sometimes
> >>"provable".
> >>
> >And I'm doing the same. It's not such an issue - a mathematician will
> >only believe something if e can prove it.
>
> But provable(p)==>p  and believes(p)=/=>p, so why equivocate on
> them?  (And incidentally mathematicians believe stuff they can't
> prove all the time - that's how they choose things to try to prove).
>
> Brent

An unproven theorem is a conjecture. I don't think a mathematician
would formally say that they believe in a conjecture, they would say
something like "assume for the present argument".

Of course, when they take their mathematician's hat off, they would
say they believe in all sorts of unprovable things, like democracy,
free speech, etc.

Anyway, this is probably getting a little off topic. Bruno's answer is
probably better.