On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 02:29:04PM +1300, LizR wrote:
> 8/10
>
> I didn't get the parrot/banana one because although I realised they were
> looking for a vector cross product I couldn't remember what that actually
> is!
>
> And I didn't get the "Godel is killing me!" one because I didn't see the
> logic (I still don't, really)

Goedel's incompleteness theorem destroyed any hope of Russell and
Whitehead's formalisation programme of Principia Mathematica actually
succeeding. It's quite punny, actually!

>From Wikipedia:

PM, as it is often abbreviated, was an attempt to describe a set of
axioms and inference rules in symbolic logic from which all
mathematical truths could in principle be proven. As such, this
ambitious project is of great importance in the history of mathematics
and philosophy,[1] being one of the foremost products of the belief
that such an undertaking may have been achievable. However, in 1931,
Gödel's incompleteness theorem proved definitively that PM, and in
fact any other attempt, could never achieve this lofty goal; that is,
for any set of axioms and inference rules proposed to encapsulate
mathematics, there would in fact be some truths of mathematics which
could not be deduced from them.