On 21 Oct 2013, at 22:56, LizR wrote:

...these are a few of my favourite things!

In the 12/10/13 issue of "New Scientist", in an article entitled "All or nothing?" I read that "certain aspects of the behaviour of [high temperature superconductors] are much easier to capture using the mathematics of string theory."

And...

"every state of matter matches up with a gravitational scenario that can be described using (...) string theory. Superconductors can be understood as stars made of charged particles and (...) Higgs bosons. Classical liquids can be modelled using the mathematics of black holes that do not have spin and have no electric charge."

That struck me as rather mind-boggling. How can a theory of 10 (?) dimensional space-time and vibrating strings relate stars to superconductors, etc? (And are there other parallelisms waiting to be discovered - other physical phenomena that are mathematically identical when they go through the looking glass, as it were?)

This seems to me to be saying something profound about reality. I just wish I knew what it was.

String theory is amazing, no doubt. Very difficult too. It describes a powerful high level/low level quantum computer, with many universal layers. Quantum field has already aspect like that. String theory has also surprising relation with number theory, and with the number 24!

I wish I have more time to dig on that wonderful subject.
There are amazing relation between physics and knots (and braids) and set theories.