It seems biologists (and philosophers of biology) think that "Kitcher's
motivation for asserting that species are sets is to allow spatiotemporally
unrestricted groups of organisms to form species. That motivation, however,
is not substantiated by biological theory or practice." Species as sets
(see http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/species/#SpeSet for context)

So it seems that this apparent prevalent opinion (according to Stanford
Encyclopedia of Philosophy) is rooted on the fact that defining them as set
is *difficult* for the scientist, because it is hard to compute and modify
the necessary and sufficient of their relationships and processes that
guarantee set membership, it seems that intensional definitions cannot the
capture "historical development" of distributed organisms that happen to be
taxonomically linked from tiem to time. So one define species as
Individuals and it seems easier to track their historical development. What
bothers me is that this seems, like you said, a matter of model-theoretic
reference and a kind of heuristic shortcut, an argument derived from
computational complexity.