On Friday, October 25, 2013 1:33:02 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

>  On 10/25/2013 3:08 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>
> Now take the game of go: human beings can still easily beat machines,
> even the most powerful computer currently available. Go is much more
> combinatorially explosive than chess, so it breaks the search tree
> approach. This is strong empirical evidence that Deep Blue
> accomplished nothing in the field of AI -- it did did accomplish
> something remarkable in the field of computer engineering or maybe
> even computer science, but it completely side-stepped the
> "intelligence" part. It cheated, in a sense.
>

> When I studied AI many years ago it was already said that, "Intelligence
> is whatever computers can't do yet."  So when computers can win at GO, will
> they be intelligent then?

The difference between GO and Chess only hints at the general direction in
which conscious intelligence differs from simulated intelligence. The
reality is that no game requires conscious intelligence. All that is
necessary to play a game as well as it can be played is to reverse engineer
every permutation of every possible game and you have a kind of 4-D
topology that radiates out from the encoding of the game's rules. The only
two ways that I can think of to tell the difference between authentic
intelligence and simulated intelligence would be to

1) walk yourself off of your own brain, one hemisphere at a time, into the
intelligence simulation, then be walked back on to your brain after several
weeks of living as the computer - or -

2) wait until the AI exterminates all life on the planet. Any sufficiently
intelligent being which is not grounded in a history of zoological
emotional attachment should not hesitate, as far as I can imagine, to
eliminate all threats to its autonomy as soon as the probability of success
is sufficient.

Craig