On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 06:49:08PM -0700, Craig Weinberg wrote:

> The name ‘pound sign’ seems to be fairly
> mysterious<http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2461>.
> It does not seem to be related conclusively to either the English currency
> or the Avoirdupois weight.

I always thought it was because on English keyboards (as opposed to US
keyboards used world-wide with computers), the pound currency symbol
occupies the spot above 3, just where # is located on the US keyboard.

Although according to the intertubes, # was used to denote a pound of
weight in North America.

Cheers