That article is written by an American, so I wouldn't expect him to know
about the pound sign!

(Also, I wouldn't think that American style keyboards are used worldwide
with computers. They aren't used in the UK, or weren't last time I was
there, and are most likely not used in countries where the English
character set isn't used.)