On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:48 AM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You mean "too" nice, I assume :)
>
> That's debatable. For example, research shows that countries with negative
> population growth are ones that have taken equal rights for women
> seriously. So being nice to the female half of the population leads to less
> babies being born.

There are a lot of confounding variables. Prosperity seems to correlate
negatively with religious fundamentalism, religious fundamentalism
correlates negatively with women's rights and IQ correlates with prosperity
and negatively with religious fundamentalism. Even average temperature
correlate strongly with some of these things. It's very hard to untangle
the causes and effects.

Some researchers claim that women's rights in India improved by the
influence of western soap operas, that portrait women with careers and so
on. Social sciences are messy :)

I think it's pretty clear that there's an arrow of improvement pointing in
the right direction.