Leibniz's platonism and the false problem of reductionism

In physics and psychology we have two enigmas if materialism rules,
those of spontaneous mental intentions (so that there is no free will) and also
that of spontaneous (probabililistic) events such as we find in statistical
mechanics
and quantum mechanics.

But under Leibniz's platonism, these dilemmas vanish.

Reductionism is the view that all mental processes can be reduced or explained
by brain mechanisms. But true intentions, where physical actions are initiated
by the mind, not the brain, obviously fail this test, so it is a puzzle swept
under the rug by the cult of materialism. Free will also then disappears
and creation is enigmatic.

Leibniz's platonism is the inverse view in which all observed or possible brain
functions
are controlled by mind, so that reductionism vanishes as a problem and
the will, with possibly some limitations, is free to create. All causes in
Leibniz's world are thoughts.

Similarly, if there is no need

Dr. Roger B Clough NIST (ret.) [1/1/2000]
See my Leibniz site at
http://independent.academia.edu/RogerClough