On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Alberto G. Corona <agocor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem with modernity is precisely the confusion and madness (and I may
> say lack of intellectual strenght)  of this fluidity, ever depending on
> audiences and personal interest that makes today amoebas to have rights ...
> and tomorrow morning we can massacrate people because at last, they are like
> amoebas.

Talk about a slippery slope...

You seem to believe that things would be better given some past state
of clear-headed rationality -- I would like you to identify the
pre-modernity time period you allude to. A few practical questions
then:

- Should I be allowed to torture dogs for fun?
- Should we try to prevent the extinctions of amoebas if the situation arose?
- A Harvard scientist has been proposing the idea of finding a
surrogate mother for a Neanderthal baby. If he succeeds, what's you
clear-cut answer for the personhood status and rights of this
creature?

People that complain about the intellectual mushiness of modernity
seem to forget that progress comes with new questions.

Telmo.